The executable winresume.exe is a key component of the Windows Hibernate boot application as it allows the user to access the programs they had left open before hibernation. It also serves as a component of the Windows Boot Loading Architecture.
What is Winresume.exe?
Unlike the Sleep function which is present in all PCs, the Hibernation function was meant to only be implemented in laptops. Keep in mind, however, that this function does not boot up as quickly as the Sleep function.
During hibernation, the system loads all the contents of its RAM to some non-volatile storage, such as a hard disk. Thanks to this process, the system can return to its prior state even after total power loss.
The Hibernation function uses fewer computer resources than the Sleep functions, therefore it is best suited for users who cannot use their PC for an extended period of time, and are unable to provide the system with a power source.
How to hibernate your system:
1. Press the Windows key, type “Settings” and click on it
2. Click on “System” and go to “Power & Sleep”.
3. Select “Additional Power Settings”.
4. Select the “Choose what the power button does” option and then go to “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.
5. In the “Shutdown settings” menu, check the “Hibernate” checkbox and then “Save Changes”.
To use this function, the user can press the Windows Key, select the Power button, and Hibernate will be one of the Power options.
The longer a user avoids powering down the system, the higher the chances of resource atrophy, meaning poor system performance. This is why experts usually recommend using the Sleep or Hibernation function instead.
File Size and Location
Winresume.exe file file can usually be located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft Windows folder and it takes up around 903 KB of space.
Is Winresume.Exe a Virus?
The genuine WINRESUME.EXE executable is a perfectly safe and harmless program. It is one of the three key utilities of Boot Loading Architecture, and it should be left alone.
Common Winresume.exe Errors
Usually it is a safe file however sometimes Winresume.exe may show below errors like:
- winresume.exe – Bad Image.
- winresume.exe Application Error.
How to Fix Winresume.exe error?
Please note that the winresume errors may occur during runtime. Below we have listed a few methods of resolution you can use to rectify the issue.
Method I: Run SFC Scan
1. Press the Windows key, type Command and choose Run as Administrator
2. Type sfc /scannow and hit the Enter button.
3. Let the system to find and fix the corrupted files.
4. Once the scan is finished then restart the system.
MethodII: Perform Windows Update
Sometimes if the files are corrupted then it can be repaired by updating the Windows. Here are the steps:
1. Press the Windows button, type Update and click on it
2. Now, click on Update button
3. Select “Install Updates” if there are any incomplete updates.
4. Once the update completes, reboot your system.
This will most probably fix the error. If you have any other issue then do leave your comment below.